Popular Posts

Wednesday 13 April 2011

Welcome to my blog.

Hello and welcome to my first blog.  My name is Melissa and I am a mother of 3.  I also have a daycare and have run it for the last 8 years.  I tell it like it is, I don't sugar coat anything and in fact you may even call me the female version of Dr. Phil. The only reason my tips and tricks will fail is because there was no follow through or consistency with your parenting.  I am in no way, shape or form an expert BUT I don't even think the 'experts' are real experts.  Let me explain.

I come from a pretty big family you could say.  I have some 14+ cousins just on one side of the family and have over 10 nieces and nephews.  Even with these stagering numbers I still do not consider myself even close to being an expert on children but I have learned a few things that will never change.  Children come in all shapes, sizes and sometimes a heck of a lot of personality.  No one child is the same and NONE of them come with a book of instructions.  So far not very helpful, I know.   A few tips and disciplinary tricks and life will get easier for you in no time.  That is IF you stick to it.  Nothing will work if you only do these some of the time. 

Your first tip; children as young as 3 months old are no dumbies.  It drives me crazy hearing parents talk about their one and a half year old not knowing any better.  DUH!  It's because you keep labeling him/her as such and not doing anything to change it.  Children at the age of 3 months recognize familiar faces.  Newborns KNOW the sound of their mothers voice and you're going to tell me your one and a half year old does not know any better?  Come on people!  I call it lazy parenting.  

When your child is a year old and they hit another child for a toy they know exactly what they are doing.  It is our human nature to protect what is ours BUT at the same token it's not kind to hit others.  Don't be the parent that pretends they didn't see it happen.  Don't be the parent that says my child does not understand.  They totally get it and they will learn from YOU that it's not all right to hit.  The longer you pretend your child does not 'get it', the longer the behavior will persist and may even get more aggressive.

What to do; Get down to your childs level, take the toy back while explaining that 'Josie' had it first and that your child needs to wait his/her turn (by turn I mean until the other child is finished playing with the toy).  Give your child something else to play with in the meantime.  Yah, you may feel silly talking to a child who's only words consist of momma, dadda and juice, but if you do this every single time this behavior happens, guess what, you're child will get it. 

Parting words; parenting is NOT for the lazy parent(s) or the guilty parent(s).  Parenting is a full time job and it IS constant repetition.   The rewards; raising respectful and responsible children into adulthood based on your love and determination during the early years.  If this sounds remotly like what you're looking for, welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment